Basic Karma Cultures Kombucha Easy Brew Recipe – 1 Gallon Jar
- Yields approximately 3.5 quarts / 3.5L of kombucha.
- Requires 3 quarts (3 L) of purified (non-chlorinated) water, scissors and a tea kettle.
- Make Your Tea
- Boil 4 cups (about 1 L) of your purified water and add to your jar.
- Add 1 Karma Cultures pre-measured tea bag (6 tsp).
- Steep the mixture for 10 minutes.
- Remove the tea bag.
- Sweeten Your Tea
- Stir in one pre-measured packet of Karma Cultures organic cane sugar until dissolved (1 cup).
- Cool Your Tea
- Add 8 cups of purified water.
- Let the mixture cool until the thermometer on the jar reads less than 25◦ C (77◦F).
- Add Healthy Bacteria
- Empty the entire contents of SCOBY bag and the starter fluid into the jar.
- Now Wait!
- Secure the included cloth cover to your jar with elastic band.
- Leave the jar undisturbed in an area that is out of direct sunlight, but make sure it is warm and ventilated. Let it stand for 7-10 days. After day 3, you can start tasting the mixture to makes sure it is to your liking.
- When you feel you have achieved a good balance of sweet and sour (this can take up to 28 days), your kombucha is ready to drink.
- But before you do, you want to get ready for your next batch. Reserve 1 cup of the brewed kombucha, your original SCOBY and the new SCOBY that has been created through the fermentation process and put into a separate glass jar. This will be the starter kit for your next batch.
That’s it! You now have home-brewed kombucha!
Your new Kombucha Easy Brew Kit comes with:
- Easy to clean wide mouth 1 Gallon glass jar
- Adhesive thermometer – that allows you to easily brew at the ideal temperature
- Karma Cultures pre-measured organic tea bag
- Karma Cultures pre-measured bag of organic cane sugar
- Wooden spoon
- Plastic funnel
- Plastic strainer
- Tasting straw
- pH test strips
- China marker – to record notes right on the jar
- Breathable cloth cover
- Elastic to hold cloth in place and protect your brew
- Kombucha Culture Scoby